Friday, February 13, 2009

Retro Wild Child Finds Place In Hearts Of New Generation

Ray-Ban's version of edgy rebellion, the Wayfarer, is back in a big way! Originally designed in 1952, the Wayfarer first gained cult status when popularized by such iconic stars as Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Audrey Hepburn, John Lennon, and Bob Dylan, just to name a few. The bold mid-century design was not for the faint of heart. Or was it? Perhaps the Wayfarer was just the push "Princess" needed to break free from "Daddy" and let the world know that she too had a dangerous side lurking just beneath the surface. Or maybe, like tailfins on a Cadillac, the Wayfarer was worn as a badge of cool. And cool they are! To cut the history lesson short, they were in, they were out, they were in, they were out, they were redesigned, and now they are in again. And I got a pair! I had a pair back in the day (the 80's), but they weren't near as festive as these babies! I broke from solid black and made the leap into color. Pink and blue to be exact. A bold choice, if I do say so myself! And I do. They are cute, quirky and unlike my over sized Giorgio Armani's they don't take themselves too seriously or fall off my face, which is a major plus in my book! I slip them on and right on cue, Don Henley begins his sweet serenade. (Boys of Summer, another itunes purchase well worth the $.) What a great song! What a great pair of sunglasses! What a great marketing plan!!! Fifty seven years later, through thick, and thin, outstanding product placements and awesome ad campaigns, Ray-Ban's Wayfarer is still very much the epitome of cool. Not even "Princess" could turn down James Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment