Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fig Jam...of sorts.


I came across a recipe in Ma's Ladies' Home Journal for a quick fig jam. It used dried figs, we had dried figs, so I decided to make it. I chopped a cup of dried figs, and soaked them in 3 cups of hot water for 25 minutes. Well, okay I got a bit impatient somewhere around the 15 minute mark, but I did make it to 23! I used the blender rather than the food processor, mainly because I didn't want to dig the food processor out, or clean it up after the fact. I put the figs in the blender along with a bit of the liquid as per the instructions. I thought a few chopped walnuts might be a nice addition and while I was at it I added a few pecans as well. I secured the lid and I hit puree, "until mixture is spreadable". I clearly added too much liquid to the mix. My mixture was not only "spreadable" but a bit drip-able. But it tasted good. Kinda bland...
As I stood in the kitchen staring at the sightly mixture I had just concocted, I wanted nothing more than to add cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon and maybe a hint of nutmeg and ginger. But I didn't. Ma says I have a tendency to spice to the point of covering up the flavor of the food. But to me it's like this: What flavor??? The spices are the flavor! I love, love, love spices! The more the merrier! But, If she wants to taste the actual fig flavor... I guess... :)
Well, it at least needed a little honey. Two tablespoons did the trick, and even thickened it a bit.
Then it was time to stir in the orange zest. I added the zest of one small orange rather than the 1/4 tsp the recipe suggested. And it turned out great!
The fig jam was a tasty compliment to our dinner of wild salmon, a mixed baby green and spinach salad, and (gifted) homemade Italian sweet bread. But you know what I think would have made it even better? A little cinnamon.


Ladies' home Journal Recipe: Fig Jam

.

Plump one cup chopped dried figs in 3 cups hot water for 25 min. Drain figs, reserving some liquid. Puree in a food processor. Add saved liquid until the mixture is spreadable. stir in 1/4 tsp orange zest.

..............................................................................................................................................

My version: Fig Jam

.

Add one cup chopped figs in 3 cups hot water for 23 min. Drain most of the liquid and place in blender. Add 2 or 3 tbs. chopped nuts (walnuts & pecans) and puree. Stir in 2 tbsp honey and zest of one small orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment